08 June 2011

Electronic Games: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and the Kinect

The E3 demonstration of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is VERY interesting. The weapons customization features that they show off are awesome!


The Kinect motion and combat controls are interesting too. The presenter took something that at least resembled a decent shooting stance and the reload motion was nice. His accuracy was pretty poor, but I don't know if that's him or the controls :).


As an aside, I've been playing a little Killzone 3 and SOCOM 4 on the PS3 and I do have the Move controller with the gun peripheral. When you first pick it up, it's awesome: it feels a little like an MP5A3 or similar and basic marksmanship with it is fun, although I've found that you have to tune the control settings a little to make them less "twitchy."


Then the hassles start... first, you control your character's movement with an analog stick on your support hand. You can get used to it, but it feels quite unnatural. Then you have to remember a variety of button controls spread all over the gun. I think the gun "sucks you in" to a very immersive feeling that makes it that much harder to remember which button you press to reload and which button throws a frag (it's bad to mix these up :)). The other hassle, which might make me sound like an old man whining about my aches and pains, is that maintaing a firing position for long play sessions is quite tiring. Yes, I know real firefights are tiring too. :)


What I see in the Kinect/GR:FS video is intriguing. I can't wait to play it. Props to Tactical Fan Boy for the link.


By: Guardian

No comments: