12 June 2010

A Look On The Ground in Afghanistan

At War blog at the New York Times has an interesting look at life on the ground in Afghanistan for Westerners.

Last week, roaming the wild lands outside Kabul, I called up a local tribal leader and asked if I could come to his house. He lived about 30 minutes outside Tirin Kot, the capital of Oruzgan Province in southern Afghanistan.

“If I am seen meeting with a foreigner, I’ll be killed,” replied the leader, Mohammed Essa.

I thought that perhaps Mr. Essa lived in an especially dangerous area. I suggested a different place.

“What about meeting me in Tirin Kot at a friend’s house?” I asked.

“Then my friend will be killed,” Mr. Essa replied.

And so did Mr. Essa spell out one of the dilemmas of working in Afghanistan. Roaming the countryside in a taxi is dangerous for an American. Any number of bad things can happen to you. You can be killed, you can be kidnapped, even if you are trying hard not to be.

But it’s important to remember that you’re not the only one who is afraid. If you’re worried about what might happen when you meet Afghans, the Afghans are just as worried about meeting you.


Go read it all - great article.

By: Brant

No comments: