13 June 2010

Prepare to be Pissed Off With This One

I've volunteered to take later flights for travel vouchers on occasion. And I've ignored the calls for it when I was in a time crunch. But lord help any waiting area where I'm sitting if 100 or passengers stare into space while the family of a fallen American tries to get home to handle their loss. You ain't never seen a profanity-laced tirade like the one I would've unleashed at that waiting area.

But it did intrude heartbreakingly that day at the airport gate. It began simply enough, with the usual call for volunteers: Anyone willing to take a later flight would receive a $500 flight voucher. Then came the announcement none of us was prepared to hear. There was, the airline representative said, a family on their way home from meeting their son's body as it returned from Afghanistan, and they needed seats on the flight. And there they were, standing beside her, looking at us, waiting to see what we would decide. It wasn't a hard decision for me; my plans were easily adjusted. I volunteered, as did two women whom I later learned sacrificed important personal plans.

But we three were not enough: Six were needed. So we stood there watching the family - dignified and mute, weighed with grief and fatigue - as the airline representative repeatedly called for assistance for this dead soldier's family. No one else stepped forward. The calls for volunteers may have lasted only 20 or 30 minutes, but it seemed hours. It was almost unbearable to watch, yet to look away was to see the more than 100 other witnesses to this tragedy who were not moved to help. Then it did become unbearable when, in a voice laced with desperation and tears, the airline representative pleaded, "This young man gave his life for our country, can't any of you give your seats so his family can get home?" Those words hung in the air. Finally, enough volunteers stepped forward.

I had trouble sleeping that night; I could not get out of my mind the image of the family or the voice pleading for them.When I met my fellow volunteers the next morning at the airport, I found I was not alone. One had gone home and cried, and another had awakened at 3 a.m.; all of us were angry and ashamed that our fellow passengers had not rushed to aid this soldier's family and consequently had forced them to be on public display in their grief. We worried that this indifference to their son's sacrifice added to their sorrow.


h/t Doctrine Man

By: Brant

2 comments:

gabeeg said...

This is the kind of heartless, disconnected, bury our heads in the sand crap that really makes me worry about this country...not the economy, not wars, not crime...its the indifference that scares me.

This article did piss me off. Everybody waiting for someone else to step up and do whats right...this foreshadows a country of victims.

Steve said...

Motherfuckers, all of them. Put a few beers in me, and I'll tell you how I really feel.